Sunday 13 December 2020

 Day 2

Food diary

Today I had warm water with vitamin C powder mixed in for breakfast.  Kind of tangy.  While I was outside the Town Hall, I had two cups of hot water from my flask.  Lunch was a little patch of salt licked from the palm of my hand - pretty intense in a good way, followed by some salty water with some potassium chloride added.  I then had an ultra weak black coffee (no sugar).  Back from my second stint outside the council, more hot salty water, and later some fruit tea from a second hand teabag with a pinch of magnesium sulfate.  A pinch of salt weighs about 0.3g or 300mg.  

Just looked up all the RDAs again and think I need to up the potassium.  It's not quite as nice to my taste as the sodium so I think I'll do a mixture.

Food is a massive part of my life usually.  I grow it, preserve it, cook it, buy it, eat it, wash it off the plates.  I ponder whether I eat to live or live to eat.  It's a pleasure in so many ways.  Cutting up veg is one of my favourite things to do.  Considering the shape of each potato and calculating where to make the cut, finding the best fit line of symmetry of a wonky homegrown carrot: these are my kind of flow states.

When you have enough, it's easy to take food for granted.  We're not used to real shortages, though Covid gave people a glimpse of these.  Climate breakdown is already leading to increasingly frequent crop failures  It only takes one extreme weather event, like a day of temperature beyond the range a crop has evolved for, to ruin a year's harvest.  Average temperature rises aren't so much the problem as the peaks. Crop failures are largely hidden by our global trading system, but there's only so much slack there.  I really don't want to see a future of mass starvation as crops fail across the world.  Even if I and my children and have enough to eat as the privileged ones, to live in such times would (will) be bleak.  I feel bound to do what I can to change the future we are headed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment